Labels

home about networks follow

Day 2 - The meaning behind your Blog's name

PERMALINK • Wednesday, 3 November 2010

The 30 Day Challenge: Day 02
 The meaning behind your Blog's name

Name, as in, URL, or name name. Ok I'll give you both then:

URL: Effigy Emporium

First, you have to understand that my last 3 URLs had something to do with Twilight: steptwice, hugelyirritating and yellowporsche So once I got over that, I figured I wanted something more original (although my email is still yellow porsche - I love having same, related url and email addresses)

I've always liked the word "emporium" especially since that movie "Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium". I didn't watch the movie, but I thought the name was cool. Emporium has a nice, quaint ring to it :D Oh yes, Let's define emporium:

Emporium:
[em-pawr-ee-uhm, -pohr-]
–noun, plural

1. large retail store, esp. one selling a great variety of articles.
2. a place, town, or city of important commerce, esp. a principal center of trade: New York is one of the world's great emporiums.

After doing the project on Pelly D and coming up with a blog called peelingpelly, I kinda got hooked on Blog URLs with Alliteration (that is the commencement of two or more words of a word group with the same letter, as in apt alliteration's artful aid.) Which, in short, means I wanted another word that begins with the letter E.

So I googled and found "effigy"

Effigy
1. a representation or image, esp. sculptured, as on a monument.
2. a crude representation of someone disliked, used for purposes of ridicule.

Well, yea, I wanted something a little emo, dark and fantasy-like, must begin with same letter and must not contain hyphens anywhere at all (I hate it when there are hyphens in a URL, makes it sooo hard to remember.) Thus, I ended up with effigyemporium.

Blog Title: Ghost Town

This came up after I changed my blogskin to the current one. It's based on the top image right there *points*. The city skyline is that of San Diego, California, where Adam moved to shortly after his birth *squeals*. The wooden background is used to show the lack of life and enthusiasm of people sometimes, that they lose themselves and become wooden and hollow (note that this is not referring to the people of San Diego) Once again, it's very emo and hence, ghost town (also inspired by Second Glance by Jodi Picoult)

No comments :