Labels

home about networks follow

Prom 2012

PERMALINK • Wednesday, 12 December 2012

My first prom experience was ehhh.. not so sweep-me-off-my-feet. The event started at 6.30 and when Zhen Hui and I arrived an hour later (the plan was to be fashionably late), we found out that the party-goers had been spilt into two teams. We had to compete in the prom pageant, a prom dance-off and random games. Oh yeah, let's not forget how the entire congregation had to stand up and dance every time Gangnam Style was played. I had never heard such an offensive song played so many times in my life wow

You can probably guess it was not much fun, but if I had an angel on my shoulder, it would have been telling me to make the fun I wanted to have, instead of just waiting for it to...happen. Pretty soon I was laughing along, probably because all I was doing was making critical and sarcastic comments...and making horrible genes jokes

Emcee: Are your parents tall?
YuJun: Nope
Emcee: oka--
YuJun: I got the genes from my grandfather.
Emcee: Those must be some good genes.
Me: Those are long genes

If I may quote Zhen Hui, I was "dying all over the place". I was laughing too crudely in the presence of demure princesses. Funny thing that these people didn't behave as demurely as they looked. (Read: I will shove your dressed up ass ten times harder than you shoved me.)

But hey! I was a good team player and I did cheer on the team lion (?????) and Saranya, who took part in the pageant. You basically had to look gorgeous and be gracious, I don't know how you can judge that, but Saranya would have had it in the bag, if I were judging.

It didn't help to lighten my mood when I realised Audrey was up to represent her class for the dance-off -- my mind was all occupied by Fifi who looked very self-conscious and reluctant to be standing in the spotlight. The poor girl tried her hardest to dance alongside Audday but I guess the pressure and embarrassment got the better of her and she sat out and left soon after.

At 9pm it was D I S C O time, and I took full advantage of the running and moving to let loose and have fun with my friends. It was a pity Mavis wasn't there to experience The Wanted songs. It was fun at the beginning, with the class dancing together in a circle, but then it got boring just doing random moves and jumping up and down to a string of 6 minute songs that all sounded the same. Did they all sound the same because it was just one giant track on loop or did it seem like an eternity because all the songs sounded the same? My head was throbbing too much to care.

If that's what clubbing is like - overly loud, headache-inducing music, and a large bunch of people hopping up and down in the dark (or with equally painful light), then I don't think I want to try clubbing. I couldn't even take the open space of the hall with school girls gone wild and dizzying camera flashes. Don't get me all wrong, I do enjoy dancing and singing and running around, just not to too much loud clubby music I can't sing along to nor flaunt my hot moves to... not that I have any. So I had to take a break outside but even the unrelenting heat couldn't let me off.

The highlight of my night was probably my last dance to, you guessed it, Hi-5's Move Your Body with Audrey. I'll miss breaking out in dance with that silly girl. Also Lidiya and I also threw all our cares to the wind and went crazy crazy crazy to the song we both dislike, Live While We're Young. The disco segment ended with the song we requested, Dancing Queen and we went insane, thankful that at least that song was played.


Casually pointing out Lidiya's barefoot and Zhen Hui's lighted cheek. Nothing further on Sarah's pose.


Casually pointing out Sharifah's stance and Saranya standing at attention.


Casually pointing out Audrey's awkward hand on my shoulder and the girl in the background between us and the sassy way she is standing. P/s: Swedha, if you are reading this, the flash did horrible things to our faces that night because I look like I ran in looking sweaty from jumping around and ready to bolt and you look like you got attacked by a bunch of stun gun wielding men. No way I'm going to put it up here.

Let's just appreciate the fact that all my friends look somewhat awkwardly stunning because, boy were they dressed up. My first prom experience was, as you can see, full of inadequate lighting, very awkward friends and deafening music.

Welp, go with little expectation and you shall not be disappointed. I don't regret going for prom because I now have an idea of how seriously people take prom (I just didn't believe the movies okay and I was too lazy and lacking, fashion wise, to bother). I had the most fun I could have had and did give it a chance after all.

Enough horsing/hoarsing around for one night. a l m o s t  h o a r s e

No comments :