Labels

home about networks follow

I'm ready to live.

PERMALINK • Saturday, 10 September 2011

Hello. I'm blogging from my Blogger app, which means you can see more blog posts coming from me in the future because it's so convenient now.

Anyway, it's nearing the end of the September holidays and I made a promise to myself that I would blog so here I am!

As much as I would like to make myself sound pathetically no life and hardworking with: "AWW WOW I spent my entire holidays trying to scrape through the litter-box of homework (shit-loads, hence litter-box). There was no time for fun at all", I have to admit that this was one off the best holidays ever.

For me, the September holidays started at once after the half day on 1/9/2011.
As expected, only 12 6 Honesty kids returned. Pretty pathetic considering the near 30 that turned up the previous years. Sigh... commitments commitments.

After three year of not being able to see Mdm Nur Ain, she finally returned to see not more than half of us there. It was lovely seeing her again, still young and as beautiful as ever.

We spent some time identifying each other, teasing and hinting at a next gathering, plans for which always get lost in busy schedules. Too bad the outdoor section of the school was out of bounds due to upgrading works; we couldn't play around the fitness corner or flagpole. (The flagpole holds special memories for me, perhaps I'll do a post on that in the future)

Anyway, Abel, Yik Dong, Braven, Yufeng and I spent the rest of the day at the swing, playing truth or dare, playing Set and catching up. It was a lot of fun that I haven't had in a really long while.

I was bruised and got myself a tan from being under the sun, but it was definitely worth it. I returned home that day to ponder over something so inevitable - change.

Look at what we'd become, I told myself. Handsome, pretty (haha okay not me) adolescents advancing into adulthood in a blink of an eye, coming back to the memories. I was pretty sad that one day, we'd probably wouldn't remember each other, much less have time to meet up. It was worse still for me, especially me. I'd just learnt that just because I'd been treated badly by a group of girls before, doesn't mean that my entire 6 years of primary school was fake. I have friends now, from then, that talk to me and meet up with me. Hell, I only just got to know Braven after being in school for so long. It makes me so depressed to know what time can do, that in a few years time these will all be memories.

Another thing that I thought was queer was the fact that I hadn't the chance to experience life in it's own carefree state. I didn't have the freedom to hang out with my friends and when I had fun, it was with fakes (with some exceptions, to some extent). I had to deal with "the mayhem" then and I don't have the ability now to take my shoes off and dance in the rain. Now, the closest one gets to a tan is probably the computer glare. Adrenalin from swinging is now gained from getting an answer right in a test.

Moving on from a very selfish and pathetic reminiscence of a ruined primary school life, the following Tuesday was the best day ever!

Abel, Yik Dong, Braven, Tan Rong, Kit Yin, Yufeng and I met up again, this time to watch SMURFS! It was surprising that I was allowed to catch a movie, Mum had never been too comfortable with me watching any. It was the first time I'd watched a movie with friends. So thrilling.

Question: What do you get when you cross Santa Claus and a hyena?
Answer: Abel watching Smurfs.


Trust me, not only was his laughter the loudest and the most ridiculous, it was the most contagious. Half the time I wasn't laughing at the silly antics of Gargamel, but more of me laughing at Abel laughing at him.

It wasn't perfect, exemplary behaviour in a cinema, but that day, I actually threw my caution to the wind. Years of reservations and abiding by the rules and expectations were stripped away. I couldn't really care. There I was, a teenager, living like how a teenager should.

Now at this point of time, if you're still reading this post and haven't given up on my long-windedness, you must at least be thinking: "Wow. What the hell. You are the most deprived teenager I have ever met. Not only did you get screwed by your friends and not had any fun you were proud of, you are like a scaredy cat too. Sux2bu"

I understand and I fully agree, but life has just begun for me. (woah wow that rhymes)

Best part of Smurfs other than it being the first movie I've ever watched with my friends? The ending theme was Ready to Go by Panic! At The Disco. I was hyperventilating in the movie theatre and grabbing for Yufeng to point it out to her. I absolutely love the song.

When out of the movie theatre, I gave up on queueing for the washroom to head right down to the mega Gramophone store to pick out Vices and Virtues. Long awaited V&V.

I probably should have waited until I found the deluxe edition to get the bonus tracks, but you know what? Screw waiting. I'd waited long enough to live. Grab every opportunity you get and go for it (well, unless it means approaching her, then no...)

"I think I'm ready to live, I know I'm ready to leap, I think I'm ready to live, I know I'm Ready to Go"

Afterwards we had chicken rice for lunch because we were starving and didn't mind what we had. Then we hobo-ed around plaza-sing before taking a train down to H&M. I thought I would never be interested in going there but I was wrong. I would have bought stuff if not for the long queue that turned me off :(

While Braven was buying his $70 letterman jacket, we waited outside when just then, a gay couple walked by and exchanged a kiss.

I'm not going to tell you what we said or discuss this controversial issue in great detail. I am a supporter of LGBT rights and such, but perhaps we ought to look at things in perspective. Like people always put it, everyone is entitled his or her opinions.

One can feel anything he wants to towards same sex couples. He can support it, he can be neutral about it, or can be against it. It really doesn't matter which you are, but to me, as long as you don't discourage or in worse cases, bring violence into the situation, you can be against homosexuality for all I care. Acceptance is when you don't stand in the way of a person's life. It is when you are allow it to happen, perhaps even when you think otherwise. You can disapprove of it, but keep your comments to yourself. It's only when violence or discouragement and discrimination happens, will it cause homosexuals to be hurt and be miserable. That's where the line needs to be drawn.

Yet sometimes I see people who are not so keen on homosexuality being cursed and hated on to accept it, even when they have done nothing to jeopardize the emotional or physical health of anyone.

Dictionary.com describes homophobes as people who hate or fear homosexuality

Perhaps we should all think on this: homosexuals and homophobes can be accepted as long as they don't do hurtful things to each other and those include direct discouragement or a simple passing remark.

Well okay, I'm sorry if I haven't broached the subject in a sophisticated and clear manner, but I did have some random thoughts that I had to put down. (just don't hate me for it).

What do you think?

Going back to that Tuesday, we spent the rest of the day hanging out by the swing and playing truth or dare again. Abel even brought his dog, Zacky down for me to play with. I really had the time of my life that day.

I had so much fun that day, I'd actually suffered from withdrawal symptoms and felt restless the whole of the next day. Oh well, it's back to the work table for me. Sux2bme hmm.

No comments :