Labels

home about networks follow

Retirement: Farewell 2012

PERMALINK • Saturday, 1 September 2012

Four years ago, My, Yasmin, Ynez, Kah Heng, Nicolette, Pradeeptha, Jasmine, Deborah, Saranya and I, at the very last minute, choreographed a very poor dance to Lady Gaga's Just Dance, as our Sec 1 performance for the 2008-2009 Sec four batch. The senior I recall the most vivdly would have to be Vanessa, fondly for she creamed me twice that day, and she was literally rolling on the floor laughing during our dance.

Four Years on, I'm at my own farewell. 24 July. I am with the people I love so dearly, and watching my juniors do what I have dedicated more than half my life at Cedar to. I post pictures up on Instagram and I have seniors that have come and gone proclaiming their love for ELDDS.

The program for that day ran as such:
Sec 1 performance
Sec 2 performance
Sec 3 performance
Gift Presentation
Sharing Session
Sec 4 performance

I love my juniors so much. Just watching these videos again remind me of how much I will miss them when I'm gone. I wouldn't call the performances magnificent, because they really aren't, but they are as true to the ELDDS nature - one of spontaneity and fearlessness. Typical EL pride and weirdness. We are loud and proud. Typical inability to sing and dance, which could possibly only apply to our batch...

We broke down pretty badly during the sharing session. As usual, I was pretty incoherent as I addressed them. I was so cheesy and what Ms Umi would throw stones at. We were croaking between sobs and throaty snorts. It was quite a sight to behold; the usually tough and cool seniors the sec fours made themselves out to be really just reduced to a puddle of emotions right in limelight.

I felt really weird up there. It felt like just yesterday when I was in that same position, in front of juniors, but trying to convince everybody that I deserved to be named President. I felt very awkward because I didn't know if they felt as fondly about EL as I do. I can see why though: enter as newbies, the plankton in the ocean, get pushed around, get scared by seniors, start picking up the ropes and learning,  props, sets, then debut show, costumes, and lighting, awe, blocking, anger, lines, tears, SYF, fear, awards, relief, school performances, pride, auditions, careless juniors that want out so badly, understudies, mentees, final graduating piece, immortality. It's crazy.

I think the one thing that binds the sec fours together is the knowledge that we've come this far together. I'm going to put it out there that we're special. We weren't all immediate EL girls. We made our first silver in a very long time. We lived with different teachers every year, meaning a fresh start every time we picked up momentum.

I definitely see a change in the scene in the future. The teachers have plans to start a literary wing, Emerge is going to run. As sore as I am about all these changes coming in after I'm gone, I know I'll never actually leave this place. Mr Wong has told us countless times that we'll be welcomed with open arms, and I'm going to take his word for it.

As a Teachers' Day appreciation, here is a question Saranya asked me on formspring:
Q: What makes a good teacher?

A: It's very subjective (ba dum tsch). Since everyone is talking about the teachers that teach, are in class and do the usual teaching, let me just say that I've got the best teachers I can ever ask for to work with in running the CCA :-)

They're strict and on task, but they give us freedom and respect. They might be mean at times and we might disagree, but they are the best teachers that I could ask for. They aren't too intimidating, and aren't too disconnected and unclear of what is going on (cough all the other teacher i/cs). The smaller age gap helps us to communicate easily. They are younger in terms of experience with the CCA and that brings us to a common level of dependency. We need their help and they need ours iand that is a huge part in our dependency and comfort with each other. Thank you Mr Wong and Ms Goh :')


Mr Wong and Ms Goh are great teachers. I love working with them and I'll miss them as much as I'll miss the juniors. They're angsty teenagers themselves. They are just like us. I find it so easy to connect with both of them and it's a joy to be able to boast to others that I have the coolest, nicest, teachers in the universe.

I sometimes get the feeling that they're crazy too. We're mad, but only the best people are.

Note: In the following videos, you'll see the sec four seniors as their usual crazy, quirky, sometimes snarky, sarcastic selves. If you are one of the juniors watching this, first of all what are you doing here but anyway, take everything with a pinch of salt!! We are usually very mean and blunt, but we're all soft and squishy on the inside, especially if it come to EL.


I do apologise for my very poor shooting skills, and these videos might make you sick from the motion. I'm sorry, I was very excited. I didn't edit much of the videos, but I did group them according to Before-reactions and after-reactions and the actual performances. Oh and I'm sorry I talk so much, my voice is quite annoying.


P/s: Meaghan if you're reading this, I quoted you in my speech: "I remember Meaghan said something about her thinking Sec three was her best year, right up until she came to Sec four. I share her sentiments". Also, I miss the crazy days you'd have during Illyria ok? Ok.

Photographs and Videos under the cut! Enjoy!
Next week: Retirement: Leaders' Invest



















































No comments :