Labels

home about networks follow

Graduation: Events

PERMALINK • Wednesday, 10 October 2012


I have officially graduated from Cedar. In retrospect, it has been a long four years, even though it sure flew by. For me, it definitely was not just 6th October that brought to reality the parting, every small happy gathering made me realise how much I would miss this place, Cedar. The last three days I spent with my classmates were pure golden. This post will cover what happened on those faithful last days, but it will absolutely not be the last post you see about my leaving Cedar.

Events, thoughts and photographs under the cut

3rd October 2012, Wednesday -- Fishtank

I brought Val up and it was one of the best experiences ever. We went up, just the both of us, treading slowly in the hallways. The adrenaline wasn't in the running through doors and passages, but it was the quiet creeping that gave us such a rush. We had to work around the dead ends and open areas to avoid getting caught. It was all the more chilling to have time just pressing for us to get out, but we only brisk-walked, paying no mind to the fact that we could have been locked in. The echoes were also so much more mysterious with just the two of us. We could hear echoes rebounding off walls, sensitive to the slightest sound. It was such a sensory experience: super sensitive hearing and adrenaline enhanced vision and dusty, grimy walls. I could not stop myself from glancing back to dispel eerie feelings. We went much slower than I had before, just daring on time, space and imagination to thrill the living daylight out of us, taking lots of u-turns and running into dead ends. When we finally left the place, we ran into the lady who was just about to lock up the doors.


4th October 2012, Thursday -- Thank You Thursday

It hit me quite badly on this day, when teachers simply pressed their lips together and sighed: "Well, this is it. Have good lives. Do your best for Os!"Only then did I remember that graduation didn't just signify the parting of friends. If anything, the more significant separation was that of the student and the teacher.  As much as I dread lessons sometimes, I can't deny I won't miss the teachers :')

I spent lunch outside the container classroom for Thank You Thursday. Moving down to the container classroom has got to be one of the finest things ever, with no ill-will to Shi Ri of course. If there were price tags on rooms in school, this ought to be the most expensive one. It’s close to the canteen, with a selection of clean toilets (hall and art room), air conditioned, cosy, a lovely “backyard” and “porch” with picnic benches. The place is perfect.

I have always looked forward to Thank You Thursdays, and I will continue with them for as long as I remember. Screw what other people think, or may say about Thank You Thursdays and the way we decide to spend it, picnics or not. Too few people say thank you, and I'm glad to have spent every Thank You Thursday with the people I love.

After school, Zhen Hui, Audrey and I had a lovely talk, and climbed the little hill by the 400m track. We almost got locked in by a cheery security guard who waited for us to inch our way down. Hugs and kisses for them both (so much love love love).

Zhen Hui and I hung around until late into the evening, just sitting on the rocks in the backyard and for once, we didn't try to plan a murder.





5th October 2012, Friday -- The Last Day

I decided early that morning that I was going to walk the entire way to school. Having taken the route for four years early each morning, I wanted to go ground level, on foot, not on wheels (well, for the most part anyway, since I have to walk to and from the bus stand). I didn't take the bus that morning, because I  was already running late. I thought, since I was going to be late, why bother with the bus? I came to appreciate two things: 1) It is always possible to take hold of your own life. I didn't want to dance, that morning, and I had always wanted to travel on foot all the way to school, so I did. 2) Singapore's traffic system is so safe, reliable and smooth. I didn't know exactly where I had to stop to cross the road, off my mind, but with Pretty. Odd. playing and Pas de Cheval telling me to give my feet a chance because they would do all the thinking, I made it anyway.

On the book for latecomers, my reason was "Unwell (Allergic to dance)". (I was thinking of going for Time Warp but eh)

We spent the last day of school busy with Graduation rehearsal. I have no idea how time flew by, but we really didn't do much for so many hours. I did read up on Street-car though, since I couldn't find the complete text on-line. I also can't wait for our own little 4N version of Grad Night, since I'm personally not interested in paying $20 to be judged by people I don't care about, and having my fun spoilt by other people's opinion of fun. I just want to spend it with a bunch of people I like.








After school, I was quite miserable because I thought Mavis and Audrey had abandoned me because no one was picking up my calls :-( As it turned out, some of them were just too busy wrecking havoc in the school hall, as seen from Jayne's time to shine.

When they finally came down, I took a school tour with Mavis, Anisa, Jayne, Claire and Fifi. We went to the 400m track just as a downpour picked up. We came racing back, quite wet and out of breath.






Auditorium: Thank God it was open for Presentation Night for the Sec 2s. Josh came up and when he saw me, he offered me a chance to lead warm ups for the cast of 2H, 2A and 2P's Emerge performances. How could I refuse? (At first, I had missed their warming up, but an unexpected turn of events led me back, and hence presented another opportunity for me to lead a cast for the last time in Cedar.)

 I think I'll also miss the Cedar Waterfall. Not bad for an occasional asylum.


Spot Fifi: We took a series of sequence shots, obsessed with the gradual closing in on the camera. 
We were such a nuisance to the people studying but we weren't stopped.




I'll never forget how the man in the vending machine was put through this.




6th October 2012 -- Graduation














After Grad we went down to City Square Mall for lunch, where once again, Audday and I shared a meal, only to gobble up whatever we could find in our bags, to give ourselves a filled tummy and enough money for goodies at Krafer's. 

If there's one recommendation I would make, it would be to visit Lim's Arts and Living on Basement 2 (right next to the elevators). We (Sharifah and Zhen Hui were the last ones left with me) had a visual feast in the decor store with its vintage and oriental crossover feel. It has such lovely furniture, ornaments and tricklets, so all enthusiasts of the nature, that is your place to visit. 

Another brilliant bit about City Square Mall is probably the fact that Toys 'R' Us has opened a branch there. Our inner kids were greeted by Furbys! We went right into Babies 'R' Us to hit the buttons, pull the strings, tickle the Elmos, squeeze the rubber balls and swing the hammers. Zhen Hui and I were very much tempted to buy rubber body parts for Si Hui, especially with the realistic tongue.

Damn, it was an eventful day, and it sure felt like two days had past instead of one. If there was anything that I learnt, it would probably be to accept money when it is given and keep it for emergency use. Yes, apart from the fact that I love my friends :-)

No comments :