Labels

home about networks follow

2014: Chapters

PERMALINK • Saturday, 18 January 2014

Happy New Year! 

Boy have I been busy this year!!! Hello to all those who are following me into this new year of blogging, especially those who have watched me (and this blog) age :-) Apologies to everybody who has checked this page in anticipation but I am here now and here is me.

I foresee periods of inactivity especially when I'm busy preparing for the big As this year so do bear with me! On the bright side, I don't think I can do without reflecting and recording on this blog so I'll still be here I guess :/

Moving on, these three weeks have been absolutely hectic!!! I keep reminding myself that 2014 is gonna be my action year and yes, it has lived up to that expectation. I'm just going to dive right into events of these three chapters now! BE BRAVE!

31 Dec 2013/1 Jan 2014: New Year ('s Eve)

Headed to The Pod at the Central Public library for a countdown party organised by my mum's friends!



The place was great to watch fireworks from: air-conditioned, had a buffet supper and a lovely view over the Esplanade/bay area. I realised I've never posted a photo of my sisters and I before, so... as much as this makes me feel weird for no reason, here we are!




obviously i'm the coolest sister

31 Dec 2013 + 2 to 4 Jan 2014: OGL Camp

Yup! I went for the OGL Camp with the smashing gang of ϟ Raithoros ϟ!!! I'll upload a post about this in greater detail soon so stay tuned!!!

5 Jan 2014:

I had been on my way to the library to meet Fiona and Audrey when I received a call from my mother. She wanted me to head down to my grandmother's place (which was not far off) because it seemed like my grandma was in critical condition.

The moment I stepped into the house, the only sound I heard was the sniffling of relatives standing around a cold and motionless body. Just like that, a day of ordinary studying, had turned into a flurry of activity so surreal, that carried on into the next seven days. My grandmother was 97 years old. Bless her soul.

Moments after her body had turned cold, I was stuck in a place of negative emotion. I felt bad that I wasn't crying along to the same song of grief.

I had never been particularly close to her, but she was my mother's mother all the same... There's just something about death claiming the breath of somebody you know, right before your very eyes, that has a poetically tragic touch. I guess you could say my litty thoughts numbed my ability to process her death as something personal. I don't know if it was a good or a bad thing that I took her death symbolically, turning it instead into what would have been a commentary of the fragility of life et cetera.

For the next seven days, I shuttled between the wake and school to take part in prayers and to just... be there, I guess. I had been extremely excited for Chinese New Year, but this is just another example of my jinx on situations when I get overly excited. On the other hand, I was ironic how I talked to more relatives  during the seven days of seeing them than I had over the past few annual gatherings at CNY.

My first wake was an experience to behold...

Watching the undertakers in their work
Going for nightly prayers
Eating vegetarian dinners and suppers
Wearing the same white shirt and blue pants as my other cousins with the family legend pinned to the sleeve
Rolling silver paper to burn
Burning the paper
Playing Mahjong and cards

Yes... you heard right. Did you know that the undertakers actually provide you with mahjong sets and cards? I didn't! I have to confess that I even studied for my econs R there, which might sound like a blasphemy, but as compared to games? I call my studying a necessity. Everyone was so nice about it too! My mum even let me go off on Sunday to study for it.

It was surreal just being there! There were no cousins/uncles leaving halfway after taking red packets/eating (as it usually happens during CNY), full attendance prayers with people you sometimes only see once in your life. Being on the inside of the wake was also strange. I had been taught to look away, not walk near a wake all my life, so when it comes down to attending one yourself, it hardly seems real.

Open House:

Took my Rs that same week but it was horrible :-( Freezing in the LT, helplessly trying to scrape through econs (as usual) :-(

Anyway, once I cleared both papers, I had to focus on Open House. Highlight of OH 2014 was definitely mass-dancing with classmates and fellow OGLs!! I think I'm kinda getting better at mass-dance... I can't get it out of my head now. Hopefully we can go mass dance together soon!!

So sweet of my friends too visit me at my ulu pandan booth on the second floor too. Here are some photos of Val and I :-)))))






god bless iphone camera

Week 3

was basically a week of lessons, but it was a satisfactory one!

Monday: Mr B wanted us to showcase our TSD piece!! It was so nerve wrecking for both groups because for the past year, our pieces failed beyond belief. okAY, so the other group had been getting better reviews than us, because we switched to a new piece at promos, and thanks to my poor phrasing, we got a dressing down from the man for changing our piece. In the end, we failed our piece because it was sloppily hammered together a week or two before. I guess we deserved it?? Yes

Our efforts during the semester break paid off!!!! We adopted a variety of styles and perspectives in devising and it was a much more refreshing experience because we were finally working on something that was relatable, bringing in styles that we learnt about :-) Mr B didn't say that it was horrible, but he didn't say that it was great either, but it just simply felt good to be on the right track :-)

School is pretty okay if you've got a pleasant timetable like mine, full of breaks longer than two hours, good for personalised studying!!



Wednesday: we began SYF prep! Reunited with Nicolette in a production again!! Miss her on stage so much. Here we are working on our face masks! I'm nervous but excited to see what Mr B has to offer, especially since he is a master of his craft. Ms Sharon happened to come by and said that Mr Wong said some positive things about us when they met at the SYF briefing :") I miss him so much and such a pleasant surprise it was to hear that he still remembers us enough to approach her and praise us :") What happened to the Josh that always gave us side-glances of disdain???? Hahaha just kidding I miss him


On the left you have a rare photo of me studying hard with Lidiya (and Audrey) on Thursday. wow.

Friday: Guess what!! I did surprisingly well for my R papers!!!! :-) I'm so happy because I honestly thought that I screwed up big time for econs. I'm not counting on this grade to be a consistent projection of my future grades, but it just feels nice to be reaffirmed, after suffering so many setbacks. Even Mrs Chuah came up to hug me after she heard about my math results :") I'm going to work hard and not disappoint my friends and my teachers :")


Glad to have my classmates to brighten up my days :-) They were all high on Friday and PE was swell with lots of laughter, especially when we played butt frisbee ^ ^ And BLESS THEM for going out to grab fried chicken with me :-))))))) Shu yu's fried chicken saga has finally wound down to closure, after a Friday afternoon of corn soup, fried chicken and taiti ^ ^


holy infant tender and mild


idk man i'm just glad to have my chicken who are these other people idk



my friends are hilarious

No comments :