Labels

home about networks follow

Something about the sun-setting

PERMALINK • Saturday, 11 October 2014


They say that as you grow older, time seems to pass faster because a year is now a smaller fraction of your life than when you were, say, five years old. I've never felt that statement and the passage of time more strongly than since I entered JC. In the blink of an eye, I'm at the end of my JC school life. Well, almost. All that's left now is to gear up and face the dreaded As. 

Suffocating burden set aside (for the moment) and sick, wicked worries about not being able to properly graduate because I screw up As out the window (trying hard to make them stay out), I had the best and worst Friday yesterday, the last day of school. 


The main highlight of Farewell Assembly was pretty much the above segment, when the J1s sang us Hero. It was beautiful, and I could feel the love on my twitter timeline and all around me (made us feel like shitty juniors). I honestly honestly love how songs have the ability to bind us. Previously in Cedar, all the mass-singing sessions and graduation/investiture tunes made me feel tied to the student body. When I entered JC, there was nothing of the sort, so it felt really cold and stale. But that up there, that was an amazing moment. I felt the thawing of my cold heart. A fine glass of Victorian spirit. The J2s were very very touched by the gesture. 

I'm not gonna go into details about FA, but it was a wonderful job done by the Ad hoc. It ended off with Mass Dance too!! Too bad I've forgotten everything about the dances hahaha, but it was still fun dancing, possibly for the last time, with Sarah.

Raithoros, hot and sweaty from mass dance.

"Orientation Day 1." Some people were very confused about the pose.


You can't see our eyes because it was so daaaaamn sunny


THIS IS SUCH A LOVELY PHOTO!!!


I know a lot of the people around me are jaded and critical about a lot of things (that, I am too) and are very anti-enthusiasm and anti-vj/ogl. It does get on my nerves when that happens because it's such a damper on things. Facing all of the criticism that comes with being an OGL is not easy: you get disdainful looks from people who don't believe in the cause, even if the cause is to merely bring people together and to create some good experiences. Thankful for these people that try their hardest to be great OGLs. They never fail to inspire me with their passion and selflessness. 

We returned to class afterward for special civics! Naturally that meant more photos with the bunch of adorable people that made my JC life so worthwhile. 

We may not have gotten along fantabulously, but I will always believe that this is the best class there is. It is the best one I've had in my many years of schooling, and just purely judging from the whole situation, I count myself so so lucky. Lucky enough to have had a class of even split of boys and girls (much to the faculty's surprise), diverse personalities, styles and interests, and unexpected bitter-sweet relationships. 

I'm going to miss spending time with them, miss all our crazy antics during Econs, heated debates during GP, confusion during Lit and chanting fightfightfightfight during lessons hehe. I'm always heartened by Tuesday ice-cream days at the back of the canteen (in fact most breaks spent together), bonding "civics" aka breakfast every Wednesday, sleeping in LTs and dark corners, playing cards and bump sheep, going on class outings (cycling, playing at Brenan/Qin ge's place) and class study dates at Mark's. Being a part of this closely knit class, living and passing down the A12 legacy of being the crazy class, equipped by our seniors with our Bra cheer (Put your money in my bra x3, make my boobs look bigger) and A12 hot to go cheer), makes me all warm and fuzzy on the inside. I'm blessed beyond belief! I love this class so much. ♡

This photo is so cute!! I love it a lot because of how spontaneous it is 

A12 is SO hot to go

Charis is such a cutie pie!!! Don't tell her I wrote her name as Chairs on my first card to her. // Bobostar my confidante

The two very important boys in my life haha haha. Also my sources of income for if I flunk out. Thank you both for everything

Is Vincent not like SO good-looking???????? 

LOVE LOVE LOVE.Most of what I had to say, I've already done so in the cards to you guys, but it will never be enough to thank you all for what you have given me.


Not a photo of me but look at this photo. So many beautiful photos from today and this one, this one has the audacity to be the best photo of the day??? The photo of the two most annoying boys in class has the capacity to make me go AWW. Excuse me, I need to sit in a tub of ice to get rid of this stupid warmth.

A12 TSD group mates!



Mark surprised us all by putting together a video montage (he must have found his calling. When he gets tired of bicycles, he will have some video montage obsession) to recap our journey :") The video ended off with a little speech saying "The best things in life come unexpected. You guys were certainly unexpected.", amongst other long-winded marky things. I'm not fooled, Mark. It still doesn't make up for all the times you made fun of me. But it's ok, because it's farewell, I will close one cold-hearted-bitch eye. Thanks. (For his card, which I was so proud of, I wrote the chorus of Queen's Bicycle Race and a one-liner just as he does for all the teachers' cards) // A photo with Mr Popular Emcee, Ms Swag and Mr Handsome-but-Dorky-and-Scared-To-Approach-My-Friends

A girl can only dream about being as swEg as jochiew *cool kids plays in the background*

I always have that face when I'm next to Dhiraj. What's New.

Cedarians spotted!!! ❤

I LOOK SO GOOD HERE WOW ❤ME❤

#valeyu ❤

Class lunch at Pizza Hut!

My life in VJ has simply flown by. I have no idea where to start or where to end. I feel like I'm still suspended in space, when I really should be sprinting to the finishing line. Oh I'm so afraid of growing up, leaving friends like these (possibly never seeing some of them again) and stepping out of my comfort zone.

These two years have been absolutely mind-boggling for me, not just as a student. I'll probably blog about this in greater detail when I can but just merely looking back I've done so much: learnt about social issues, assumed a new feminist identity, contemplated religion, existentialism and been influenced tremendously by my lit texts, so much so that they have become some sort of bible. I've learnt to love and be loved and sometimes not love at all: I broke some hearts, sometimes repeatedly, worn my heart on my sleeve, made friends (so many), hate, be hated on and not give a shit. I've learnt about positivity, negativity, apathy; I've learnt about ambivalence and valiant struggles.

And it has been one hell of a ride. My life has changed so much, and will continue to change, and it's so overwhelming yet so exciting to be embarking on my next journey so soon. Ultimately, my learning and the love I've experienced will be more transient, more important, more than what my grades say. I'm still trying to internalize that wisdom as I feel a whole spectrum of emotions, the bitter-sweet of leaving, and a unique blend of power and inertia. 

I don't know how to deal with the ambivalence of wanting stasis, but if there's one thing that I've learnt, is that struggle is comfortingly universal, and sometimes, you can only go, as Pozzo says, On.

"Be good, if not be good at it" -- Mr Keith

No comments :