Labels

home about networks follow

Shuffle Kepuffle Twiggies Memories

PERMALINK • Saturday, 4 June 2011

Before I start writing, I have to warn you that this is an amazingly long post and that I honestly do not know where to begin so I might miss out certain mega important things. After writing this post, I might be dead from nostalgia and misery. Okay, I just had to type this

I realised my worries for CAP were useless and completely whiny on my part, once we got to the second day. Yes, on the first day, I was still a rather hesitant worrywart, but as the camp progressed, all I could say was that I didn't regret missing the Finland trip.

Okay, okay, I'm singing praises for this camp that nobody knows about, here's a little overview of what I went though:



The Creative Arts Programme is a writing camp where students hand-picked from their school and by a bunch of writers attend a 5 day stay-in workshop/camp. They will be given the opportunity to attend talks/literary excursions/writing workshops and what not, to expand their horizons and to improve their writing skills and knowledge of certain arts. (This is kinda like English lessons) They will also undergo performance workshops every night (which are rather like CCAs) At the end of the 5 days, there will be a concert/closing ceremony where they will showcase whatever they have learnt during the performance workshops.

During the five days, the CAPpers will be brought around by a group of capable councillors who were once CAP participants as well.


CAPpers are an awesome bunch. I really enjoyed the time I spent there. It's a completely different environment, (haha) as stated in the poem that was read to us yesterday. "How arguments are intellectual" and how there can be "fireworks in my brain". Haikus are used in teasing, and recording the silliness and happenings around CAP. The best part is that there was a sense of community that was established in just five days. How?

1) Common interests

Writing
Well, of course, that goes without saying. It is a Creative Arts Programme/Seminar. The participants would have to be interested in one form of art of another, but most of all, they would have to love writing. This was extremely crucial during our camp, honestly, we wrote about every single thing. From haikus about roaches in dorms, to haikus about each other's hair, it was hilarious to be in that kind of environment, but it most definitely was heartening.

aCAPella


/edit/ aCAPella was a daily newsletter with nonsensical articles written by councillors and include submissions of poems and haikus by campers and cool inside jokes around camp.

aCAPella was something that everybody read anytime, anywhere and to me, it was a miracle how Ed managed to churn out pieces of aCAPella every single day and still survive. It was full of inside jokes and alliteration and the best part was seeing how the articles increased in audacity and nonsense as the camp progressed.

2) Common experiences -

Billy Elliot Movie Screening
The most hilarious moments of CAP. Each time there was something inappropriate that popped up, the hall would howl with laughter and oooh-s and ahhh-s.

The Bottle Game
I still don't know how to play it, honest. House of Mulan never officially learnt, cause we never had the time. Every once in a while, you'd hear the slamming and thumping of palms and Alpheus plastic water bottles in a hypnotic and nerve-wrecking routine.

Twiggies (Choc-a-lot/Cream Dream) (or the deprivation of it)
Twiggies are the life of CAP.

Jia Qi: "Twiggies have always been a CAP tradition". Well, it is a very cute and yummy tradition:

Twiggies are the staple food at CAP.
Twiggies are the affectionate names one calls another CAPper. Ynez is now my Cream Dream and I am hers.

Despite being well fed at CAP, Twiggies are the dream and desire of every CAPper (or almost all). I was insecure when I finished my Twiggies for I didn't have a yummy fummy spongecake roll with cream filling to feed on in case I was hungry.

On Thursday, the flow of Twiggies was stopped and we were also running low on Alpheus. Thankfully aCAPella was still there to spur us on, otherwise, the entire camp would have just died. Oh, did I mention that Twiggies were also the reward for the "Crazed Catwalk" on Thursday night. It was a mega "T" trophy made of empty Alpheus bottles with Twiggies strapped on the back. When we saw OG5 whip out an entire row of Twiggies from their trophy, there were envious cries from the crowd amidst the cheering and clapping. Also, Sam was strapped on with Twiggie wrappers that made him look like a walking Twiggie.

Bath times
Always a worry of a camper. Thankfully at CAP, there were water heaters... that were only discovered halfway into the camp...

"Every rush for the toilet can rival a season of the Amazing Race"

3) Common Identity

House of Mulan
OG7 was (almost, at least to ourselves) never called OG7, instead we were under the name "House of Mulan" thanks to House of Mulan Chairperson/ President Jia Qi. Yes, indeed, the battle goes on to determine which princess, Ariel or Mulan, is more awesome, but without a doubt, the House of Mulan owns all other OGs because we are not like them. House of Mulan foreverrrr!

Performance Workshops
There were so many talented and creative participants in my Drama group. All of them were skilled actors with perfect articulation and had story-lines that were creatively conceived. It was such a joy and a blessing to be in Drama; to simply feed of the radiance that was spelt out on my fellow actors' faces every time we took to the stage.

In addition, there were interesting talks by famous people in the arts/writing scene, such as Mr Huzir Sulaiman
Q: What do you do when people censor your works?"
A: "I just tell them to fuck off

,Ms Jewell Rhodes and Alvin Pang.

What I else I enjoyed in the educational part of the camp:

My favourite workshop-- the 2.5 hours Theatre Review course by Matthew Lyon from The Inkpot Reviews. Most people just watch/read plays and comment on the play itself, but we often forget the reviewing bit, where people that are more knowledgeable in the field provide their insight.

What was great about the course was the second half, with the intense debate about the "Dog Woman and Mosquito Man" scene from Nothing by Cake Theatrical Productions. After we watched the clips, Jay and Tejala were against the entire class of about 40 who disagreed that the Mosquito Man and Dog Woman's acting sucked. The other CAPpers felt the characters were meant to be "socially awkward" and "stereotypical" and "anticlimactic". I was very much neutral about the short filmed play, for I was still very much shaken by how uncomfortable the play made me feel. The characters were all eeriely unnatural, unrealistic and hence insincere, which did contribute to the mood and atmosphere overall, so I feel the play was sufficiently thought provoking and evocative

Mr Lyon had to resort to cutting to half sentence responses to accommodate all views. It was heated and so power-packed that we were still talking about it long after the talk ended.

Dearest CAPpers (more specifically, House of Mulan, Kate, Shayna, Fang, Sam)

Gosh, how I'll miss you guys. Thank you for making my CAP journey a memorable and fruitful (hehe blackberry) one. If it wasn't for you guys, I'd have been a zombie, slugging through the 5 days, taking them as we went along and not looking forward to anything.

House of Mulan, you guys are the awesomest OG ever. Even though I don't hang out exclusively with anyone, I still love you guys loads. I'm sorry if I appeared rude, or emo, and I really wish I had more time to spend with you. I was extremely glad I felt a sense of belonging in HoM, especially each time we screamed "HOUSE OF MULAN" together. Trust me, Mulan will never be the same for any of us.

Kate, Shayna and Fang, you guys are crazy and unique people. Though the three of you are from RGS, I didn't feel left out at anytime. Remember how we wanted to do the Japanese war script: "This kerosene lamp reminds me of your bald head"? I'm so glad we didn't even try. I really enjoyed working with the three of you in creating an original, creepy tale of Little Johnny and singing Three Blind Mice. I copied the entire script down because I didn't want to forget anything, anything we put so much heart into.

Kate, you're hilarious with your random and huge obsession with inappropriate words and *ahem* gestures. Shayna, your voice is beautiful and I can't even break as nicely as you can :) Your Peter Pan craziness does not worry me, though I believe a few trips to the psychiatrist ought to fix it (lol jkingg). Fang, your pick up lines are... (okay, never mind) "Do you like raisins? Or would you like a date?" -all I can say-

SAMUEL BLACKBERRY TAN, you are annoying. -that is all- Okay, never mind that you are extremely irritating, I really enjoyed hanging out with you and it was a fruitful experience. Even though you tried to rip my hair out, give me a heart attack by playing with the hand dryer in the changing room during performance, snatch my bag off my back, confuse me with that red rope around your wrist, mock me for being on tip-toes (I was nervous, not short) and most of all, drive me insane with your endless "Durian~"s, CAP wouldn't have been this fun without these random things you do, honest. You have like, extremely fluffy hair by the way.

I'll miss... (in no particular order)

01) rushing for the showers as if in the Amazing Race
02) Jia Qi's way of saying "House of Mooolan"
03) His "knock-it, knock-it, knock-it" requests that nobody responds to (sometimes)
04) Dawn calling me Veeda (or Vida, or however that's spelt)
05) Phyllis' turning to look at me with raised brows during talks
06) Sam and his annoying "durian" name-calling
07) Messing up his fluffy hair as revenge. Nature's mystery: It never goes out of place much D:
08) Kate's *ahem* weird behaviour and cussing
09) Fang's crazy pick up lines
10) Shaynaaaaa and her awesome singing!
11) Ynez forgetting she's no longer in a girls school.

Sigh... Now that CAP is over, I feel miserable. The first two days seemed to pass really slowly, then in a blink of an eye, I was listening to percussion for the third time. I never expected CAP to be this fun, or to feel so depressed after it was over. These 5 days were well-spent. I don't regret a second of it.

/edit/ Wow what? Shayna just told me Drama's planning a reunion tomorrow. I don't know how successful it's gonna be but I sure hope it's on. Yes, I know Camp just ended yesterday. "We are borderline obsessive" - Shayna

No comments :