Whoops: A little blurry, but the point is for the stories lmao
Under the cut: The Australian Museum, Dinosaur Exhibition, High Tea, Hyde Park Barracks Museum and The Rocks Ghost Tour.
Dinoasdfghjklsaurs: Jayne and I went berserk when we saw this. It seems like everybody else was just vaguely interested in bones meh old things that died meh. We went freakinginsane at the reception and swore that we would go no matter what. Well, we had to control our "OHMYGODDINOSAURS" to get through the Aboriginal boomerang painting session prior to OHMYGODDINOLAND
Wallaby: Meep
Sniff: Curious wombat is curious
Koala: And deez eez mai twee and twee shaow bee myne
My Boomerang: Lmao. I admit, the paint was really thin and I did not have time to do several layers. Brown and red did not stand out that much on the black and I might as well have been using black as yellow on that black surface asdfghjkl. So I went for the good ol' black and white which is my favourite colour combination, as everybody would have realised, however cliche it is. Okay I need to stop talking. There is a witchetty grub in the middle and between the yellow and brown spots on the right is a club. My boomerang story is: The grub went to the club and partied, hence the disco lights. I am quite sure that the teacher meant for us to draw something related to hunting and nature and aboriginal stories but... she is lucky I did not draw a boomerang within a boomerang within a boomerang.
Oh oh... Here it is. Jayne and I went ballistic when we were released to go exploring on our own. We had never been to any dinosaur exhibits ever and our first was to be in Australia DAMN. We ran. Legit ran and pushed everyone out of our way to get to the dinosaur exhibits and when we stepped into the dimly lit exhibition hall to the sounds of crickets and low rumbles of what could only be dinofreakingsaurs!!!! We squealed like little seven year-olds and rushed to get the freaking pictures of the triceratops and stegosauruses and t-rex! Okay. I have to give credit to the seven year-olds. They were there and behaving in a more acceptable manner than we were.
Prehistoric and evolution: Cough. We went crazy here too. Only then did we start to see signs of our fellow tour mates leisurely looking at the... oh hi birdy didn't see you there. How in the world do you not run around in excitement in a d i n o s a u r exhibition?
Rahhh: I thought of Pearlyn when I saw this cute little thing
Herp Derp: I do not recall koalas looking this funny
Sarah: Yes I thought of her too
Omg number two of the day: High Tea at Queen Victoria's Building! Oh god, will you look at the atas-ness of The Tea Room's website. The locals that found out we were going there for high tea gasped in envy and excitement. The painting teacher told us she had only been there once for a birthday. Mdm Audra reasoned that "every girl deserves to go for high tea". We were prepared for two hours of fine dining and 'oho ho ho-s' instead of BWAHAHAHA (Yes, that is pretty much how to describe it in a nutshell). But boy, were we wrong. There is no way to "in a nutshell" highteafinesse.
When we entered The Tea Room, you could see the devastation on the receptionist's face. At first it was slight amusement then it changed into a "shit this is really happening" expression: "Hello, are you here for tea? Oh? Oh, do you have a reservation made then? Do you have, teachers? AH Teachers!!!! -insert relieved vibes here-"
One of our servers was French, at least I think she was. She was not just plain French. She was French French, with the zee and the ahh and the intensity of the French type of French. The ladies at the table closest to us had on scarves and pearls and hats with flowers in them.
Mdm Audra said when we set our teacups down, it had to be a slight clink or silence. We all lifted our teacups and started practicing. Oh boy did Mdm Audra regret with an exasperated sigh. We sounded like bulls in a china shop. I believe our meal was the Traditional Afternoon Tea according to the menu here : A set selection of finger sandwiches, petit fours, sweet and savoury pastries, scones with preserve and clotted cream, tea or coffee. When we were served our tea (peppermint, earl grey, breakfast and some other exotic rice burned tea), scones with clotted cream and jam and a hell lot of finger foods (tuna, cucumber, egg and mayonnaise sandwiches, spinach quiche, fruit tarts, strawberry tarts, pecan tarts, tiramisu etc), I was ready to roll out the door, stuffed.
We... we were not the best guests. Most of the time was spent on poking fun at the upper classes, laughing at each other's very unglam and unclassy behaviour (apart from eating, that is.) Here are some things we did. Anonymously because everybody will kill me for this:
1) Get a middle finger stuck in the teacup handle
2) Leave the teaspoon in the teacup, very smart, eye gorging even. And more than once
3) Lose the knife under the table
4) Forget to use the tea leaves strainer when pouring
5) Almost ask: "Can you refill?"
6) Gobble
7) Lick the spoon before scooping up a sugar cube from the shared cup lmao
Mavis was feeling at home with all this princess behaviour. When she left the table she excused herself and almost curtsied, leaving us ho-ho-ho-ing. Mdm Audra named her Princess Mavis afterwards.
Next we went to Hyde Park Barracks Museum. Did you know that Sydney was built by convicts? Most convicts committed petty crimes but were sentences to 7 years, 14 years and the life sentences to be transported over to Australia to help build up the country. Over 600 convicts lived and worked in the building the museum used to be. This museum recognises and preserves this history of Sydney.
After this visit, we headed down to the Harbour to have dinner at City Extra Restaurant for the second time. I had learnt my lesson from the previous evening and brought my itouch along to sponge of the free wifi. Chung Cheng happened to be dining there as well, directly opposite us and I believe we were both sending "own people do not shoot" vibes to each other. Talk about identity.
Later that evening, we went on The Rocks Ghost Tour with our guide, Ivan. It was the very first time I had ever been on a ghost tour and we were given props to play these ghastly characters. I was Thomas Warn (something like that) a rich merchant that overworked his poor valet, played by Fiona. Thomas was then killed by his valet who snapped and when the horrid realisation struck the valet, he dismembered Thomas and tried to dump the body parts at sea, but not before the suitcase of parts opened and they all fell out. Ivan gave me the role and offered a helping hand, literally. Actually no, I asked for the hand because I was fearless. There.
I had a little internal conflict nearing the end of the tour. Well, the tour was not all that exciting, no because these were all stories, nothing to prove they actually happened. Even being at the supposed location, having Ms Lin shriek at one of the sites did not give much of the wow factor.
But come to think of the stories now, with no Zeqi on my left and Andrea on my right, they are rather scary. I am not very sure I wanted to see a ghost at the end of the day anyway. No, the tour was really fun, yes it was. Even without the ghost, yes, even without the ghosts.
Masterpost
Day Six
No comments :
Post a Comment