Labels

home about networks follow

Lit Trip to Australia: Masterpost

PERMALINK • Saturday, 19 November 2011

This is the masterpost of the Lit trip Australia, mostly only for my own future reference and placed in chronological order of major events of each day. The days are posted from the sixth on, which means that if you scroll down beyond this post, the next post you'll see is Day One's then scroll down some more and you can see Day Two's, so on and so forth. Otherwise, I have a summary of what we did in days right below, with attached links that lead to that post (click on Day ___). Alternatively, view all posts on Australia here.

Click here to view Day One:
Arrival in New South Wales
Meeting Laura and Rob
Ride to Blue Mountains
Lunch at Red Rooster
Blue Mountains Skyway
Park
Echo Point
Blue Mountains YHA

Click here to view Day Two:
Ride to Jenolan Caves
Pit stop
Outside the Jenolan Caves
Inside the Jenolan Caves
Blue Lake
Sydney Harbour YHA

Click here to view Day Three:
Shire Writers' Festival
Aboriginal Museum
Sydney Harbour Walk
Pizza Dinner
YHA Roof

Click here to view Day Four:
Sydney City Tour
High Park Picnic
State Library
Sydney Opera House Tour
Dinner at City Extra Restaurant
Harold Pinter's No Man's Land

Click here to view Day Five:
Australian Museum
High Tea at Queen Victoria Building
Hyde Park Barracks Museum
Dinner at City Extra Restaurant
The Rocks Ghost Tour

Click here to view Day Six:
University of New south Wales
Botanical Gardens

The haul


Typical Tacky Tourist Souvenirs: Kangaroos and Koalas of course.


Tacky Tourist Souvenirs: Green and black dinosaur wristbands that Jayne and I dino-crazed fans bought from the Australian Museum, making the rest of the bus jealous along the way. There's a black boomerang right below that I painted during the Aboriginal boomerang painting class. View this post to see what it means hehehehe


Books: Pretty notebooks from the bookstore at the State Library. Jayne was just saying how awkward it would be to have a bookstore in a library. Awkward but very pretty my kind of items shop. The store had an array of vintage postcards, notebooks, poetry and books by Australian writers.


Books: Ursula Dubosarsky's The Golden Day, Melina Marchetta's On the Jellicoe Road and Looking for Alibrandi were from the Shire Writers' Festival (view this post) booksales.  Little Book of Cats is a tiny book of poems that screamed Brenda when I saw it at the State Library's bookstore. 


Food: Original soft and original crunchy Nougat from the Duty-free store at the Australian Airport. Koala Tea's No Worries tea with mint, lemon grass, lemon balm and roasted dandelion root


Quote: A paper bag from the State Library's book store: "In books lies the soul of the whole past time and the articulate audible voice of the past when the body and material substance of it has altogether vanished like a dream." This quote was from Thomas Carlyle's (1795-1881) Hero as Man of Letters is inscribed in stone on the eastern wall of the Mitchell Library vestibule


Brochures and Postcards: Blogger uploaded this image this way and I can't get it to turn hmph. I have a thick stack of these, shamelessly taken from all the museums and places of interest that we visited so I can begin a scrap-book yay! Anyway, several interesting ones: 

1) The red one is Frank Hardy's passport photograph. Frank Hardy as in the Hardy Boys Frank I have a crush on? I'd like to think so. Persons of Interest: The ASIO files. 
2) "My eyes mimic the monsoon": Australian Poetry Slam 2011. 
3) Rudie Nudie was launched during the Shire Writers' Festival by Emma Quay.  
4) The orange card smack in the middle is the YHA Connect card for the internet access in Sydney Harbour YHA. The wifi fee there was Aus$1 per 15 mins (which is still equivalent to Aus$4 per hour) so we could have more flexible sessions. Thanks to this, I could go on Twitter to bring you updates :)
5) Between the YHA card and Rudie Nudie, is the State Library's library card which we all got as a souvenir. Yes, I can now visit Australia to borrow books with my library card.  
6) Below that is the "I survived The Rocks Ghost Tour" cert  
7) Next to that cert is the One way Skyway cable car ticket
8) And right at the bottom is the brochure for The Shakepeare Room at the Mitchell Library (another wing of the State Library). 

On the last day, Mavis and I were planning to buy a kaleidoscope from the airport, it was so beautiful and I love kaleidoscopes, so we are planning to make our own, somehow. 

More detailed posts: View archives or use the links mentioned above!

No comments :