Labels

home about networks follow

The Black Square

PERMALINK • Sunday, 26 February 2012



I met Deborah, Saranya, Maryam, Kah Heng and Pradeeptha at Bugis yesterday. It was lovely going out with themILOVEMYSECFOURSSOMUCH. We then headed down to the Esplanade for Black Square, choreographed by Dam Van Huynh.

Before the performance, I tried to read up about it like I usually do before a production but to my surprise, I found that it was dance, dance theatre to be exact. Read More. I knew it would be a refreshing performance, but I was still taken aback when the 22 of us stepped into the Drama Theatre Studio. The stage was not a raised platform with velvet curtains bordering the sides, just an area marked out on the floor, about a metre away from the audience. We were lucky enough to be seated in the front row, so we got to be up close with the dancers.

Apart from the very expressive movements and choreography, the lighting and sound effects helped in evoking incredible emotions. I think it is pretty odd that right now, I recall the individual elements of the performance (sounds, lights, movements) instead of the performance as a whole. We felt there was no common idea that Van Huynh was going for, just separate themes in life in general. I believe I took in the more special aspects and dance segments better than the general choreography. Below are just some of my thoughts on the separate elements (maybe I will be able to derive something from here).

Sounds

Metal poles and sheets rubbing and clanging against each other gave an industrial image. It reminded me of the conversation Sarah and I had about how no two things are similar. Manmade/mass productions tend to emphasise on precision, and replication. It sounded cold, artificial and harsh, and let us not forget the booming and clashing as sounds of destruction and construction.

Breathing was a very big contributor to the auditory imagery. The dancers would breath differently when dancing and at one point, a tape was played with people breathing, almost to the point of hyperventilation. It sent shivers up my spine because all but one male dancer that stood motionless as the other dancers moved as a whole, with slow deliberate movements. The breathing was strangely distinguishable as a male's and a female's. As odd as it might sound, the unity of the breaths suggested bonding through physical activity, like sports, dance or sex, almost a spiritual union.

At one point, moaning sounds started at random, growing louder and higher and breaking off abruptly. The result was a sense of hypnotism and intoxication, as if somebody was high on drugs. Nicolette said she literally shook away the eerie feeling that it sent.

Hollow tapping sounds, like wood on wood, were irregular: Chaos, unstability, unpredictability.

Themes

Conformity: segregation during one dance segment

Individuality and expressiveness: portrayed by the opening solo of restraint and freedom, by convulsions, 'disobedient limbs' and relaxed partying dance moves respectively.

Breaking from your shell: One of my favourite scenes where two male dancers danced alongside and with each other, in front of the sidelights, casting larger than life shadows on the opposite wall. Just by watching the shadows and speed, we could tell that it was an internal battle for freedom of movement, which later became a union and acceptance of the different dimensions people have, through art forms. The shadows merged into one eventually, representing the identity and wholeness achieved.

Lust vs Love: Another scene that I loved had pairs of a guy and a girl dancing, all but one pair of two girls. The image created was that of a party, where people would hook up. The dancers then started twitching and moving slowly, but deliberately, like snakes, curving their bodies and sticking their tongues out at us.
One image that really stood out were the pairs that walked around on stage with their hands tensed, and connected, but not touching. They looked like they were holding hands, except they kept their hands by the sides (Does that even make sense?).

(I now conclude that the main underlying theme is control.)

"Back of every creation, supporting it like an arch, is faith. Enthusiasm is nothing: it comes and goes. But if one believes, then miracles occur." - Henry Miller

No comments :