Six days were spent at the VJ orientation, my induction into the Victorian family, and the sneak preview into what the next two years in this school will be like. To sum up my experience in one word: steroids. If this orientation was nothing but for the sake of creating a good first impression, then they've done a pretty darn smashin' job of it.
There were fewer Cedarians than I anticipated, but good friends were there all the same (I also talked to more Cedarians on that first day than I thought possible. I guess there's comfort in the familiar uniform). Meeting three groups of freshies gave me a great base of friends to start with: my AG, my OG and my class, not to mention the lovely seniors who led us along the way. The school spirit there is phenomenal, if only for the sake of orientation anyway. I was pleasantly surprised by the Victorians' capabilities and spontaneity. The AGLs/OGLs are so adorable! Fifi and I agree that they're the cutest, most sporting, dedicated and inspirational bunch of people ever. I don't know if it's possible to be in love with a student body, but the leaders are the best.
I thoroughly enjoyed soaping down fully-clothed and getting a hosing down after the wet and dirty games. We had to sit in ketchup and mayonnaise and vinegar and go for lunch smelling like lunch, so there was no way I was going to pass up the offer of a thrilling cleaning experience when the opportunity presented itself. The Sea Sports Carnival at East Coast on the last day was also a great highlight. It was the perfect chance to know my classmates better alL WHILE ENJOYING THE SUN SAND AND SEA. That night, we had a four hour long closing ceremony, in which the OGLs, dancers and bands put up fantastic performances (did I already mention how in love I am with the OGLs?). We had multiple three to five piece bands on stage performing to a sea of freshies, basically a awesome concert, one reminiscence of Cedar's Got Talent, with songs like Begging, This Love and Pumped-up Kicks. Unfortunately, the last band to perform, the Musicfest 2012 winner, had their set cut off abruptly, Kanye West style (to quote Claire). A teacher came up on stage to yell at students who were throwing fat light-sticks over the crowd. It was a damper on things, but a pretty funny one at that.
A dull ache had settled in my heart towards the end of the orientation when I looked over the crowd of freshies and thought this was what my time in Cedar was supposed to be like. I was first introduced to Cedar as the screaming school with great spirit, but as I advanced every year, the spark that was present way before my time seemed to have faded; the cheering was over. It was all so painfully forced.
Prior to this, I didn't understand what the deal with VJ was, but the atmosphere there speaks for itself. Perhaps I'm only singing praises for the orientation, but sharing the spirit of a closely-knit family with the freshies made me feel so welcomed. I wonder what my mother would say if she found out that VJ is the equivalent of a cult crunked out at a rock concert...
Of course, not everything is rainbows and sunshine just yet. I know Victorians play hard and work harder so it's definitely going to be twice as difficult for me to catch up as when I was in Cedar. My subjects - MELT: Math, Econs, Lit, TSD - aren't exactly the most conventional, straightforward ones either. The fears that I have about embarking on this combi haven't been eliminated, only diminished for the time being by my lack of escape.
It helps that I'm in a class of HELMers and MELTers (and sometimes those that take history in lieu of lit), which is hence, yet another class that has a reputation of being the crAzy onE. My classmates all seem nice enough, and I already have a few that have become good friends for such a short time. Of the diversity, most are passionate, which is intimidating and motivating. There are some I can relate to, for the time being, because we know how I once thought so but was proven very wrong afterwards; but there are signs of some who may be potentially annoying, even if it only seems a spark of amusement for now.
Anyway, I'm going to miss having orientation even though I'm excited to start on the academics, but I'm not going to miss embarrassing myself in the dances.
P/S: Wow new chapter indeeeeed. I've got a new VJ tag??????
No comments :
Post a Comment