And, being the guilty, inconsistent blogger, I jumped on the opportunities for filler posts. Thus, I emailed the teacher in charge and got the readings, many of which are otherwise unavailable on the net. I'll be featuring the poems in a series of posts so have fun crying!
A series of my teachers' favourite works: Part 1 of 5
Today: Pieces selected by Christine Chua (published poet and VJC teacher wooo)
An excerpt from Staying Alive by Mary Oliver
We are walking along the path, my dog and I, in the blue half-light. My dog, no longer young, steps carefully on the icy path, until he catches the scent of the fox. This morning the fox runs out onto the frozen pond, and my dog follows. I stand and watch them. The ice prevents either animal from getting a good toe-grip, so they move with the big-hearted and curvaceous motions of running, but in slow motion. All the way across they stay the same distance apart -- the fox can go no faster, neither can my long-legged old dog, who will ache from this for a week. The scene is original and pretty as a dream. But I am wide awake. Then the fox vanishes among the yellow weeds on the far side of the pond, and my dog comes back, panting.
----
I believe everything has a soul.
When her mother felt like being maternal
she would cut their fingernails and toenails.
She wouldn't take "no" for an answer
and always cut too close.
She only stopped when she drew blood.
***
No comments :
Post a Comment